Thursday, July 20, 2006

Chapter 64
There Are Only So Many Hugs a Girl Can Take

So today at school the little boy I work one on one with was not there. So I was placed in another room to help out. There was a little boy in that class that I have met before. My sister baby-sits him and so we all hung out last week. I hadn’t even talked to him and he started to cuddle with me, hug me, once he even put his arm around me when we were out to lunch. Yesterday I saw him on the playground and he came up saying, “There you are, you’re here.” Then I saw him three other times while I was still out on the playground and he kept saying, “see you on the bus ramp.” He’s the cutest little kid. However, all he wanted to do was to hug me and cuddle with me today and he needed to do his work! I wasn’t sure if I was even helping in the classroom or if I was just a distraction for this kid. The day was long but fun, however, I really missed everyone in my classroom and I missed the way my classroom is run. I’ll be glad to be back there on Monday.
Then I went to work. I was really cranky today for some reason, probably a mixture of being completely worn out from the combination of these two jobs and then there’s also the fact that maybe my period is coming soon. Needless to say I wasn’t too pleased to be at the grocery store. Then to make it worse, Jaq came back from break and was in charge of the front. I don’t know how it started but I began to have an attitude and almost said some things I would have regretted. At one point he said that I used to be his favorite cashier when I was the number one cashier, but now The Warrior was. I took a pause here, saying one thought while keeping one silent. The first and silent thought was that I wanted to say to Jaq that he was never my favorite manager, so if he expected his “disappointment” to cause me to kiss up to him he was wrong. The second, vocal thought was that I was really excited for the Warrior. He’s been working hard to be the number one cashier and was almost to the point of giving up. Then Jaq asked me to go on register (I had just maneuvered my way off of one because customers were really annoying me today) and I told him flat out that I wasn’t his only cashier so I wasn’t going to (actually I think this was right before the “favorite” cashier remark was brought out). A few other things were said, and of course as usual everyone who heard thought I was joking. Then Jaq finally asked me why I was so mean to him (in a joking manner) and I told him he scheduled me for café one too many times. He then defended that he asked me every time, and this last time he even told me that if I didn’t want to it wasn’t too late to change the schedule (which he most certainly did not). I told him it didn’t matter because the day before this “incident” happened I told him that I really hated café. Apparently he just didn’t grasp the concept of “hate”.
So I continually denied his request to do him ‘favors’. It was almost liberating. Then Puppy Love came in and well, Puppy Love has been getting on my nerves lately, especially because he always wants to hug me. Yesterday I went to the store to buy groceries when I first went in he saw me and called me over, I was tired and I was cranky but I walked over and he gave me a hug, I asked, “Are you kidding me?” Then he took my groceries out, I could have taken them out myself but he insisted so I tried to make it brief and he gave me a hug. I am going to have to tell him the truth; one, I am not really a hugger and two, especially when it comes to him. Luckily Baby Face came in and that put me in a better mood, the best would be to have Baby Face, The Warrior, and Poof Daddy all there, but you take what you can get.
Then I got put back in the bakery at the time that I was scheduled to go home to give the lady a break. The lady would not just go! She had to look for the most ridiculous things like the only thing I had to do today was to sit and watch her frustrate herself! I was just getting pissed off at her because I didn’t need to be there and was she just going to take her break or not? Because I could go home if she wasn’t going to. She finally left and I just sat there waiting and rotting in the bakery. Once I looked over at the deli and I think one of the workers was laughing at me because he saw me just standing there in a daze, and he had heard earlier when I was telling my friend in the break room how much I hate the café…the bakery isn’t the café but it sure is close. While I was back there Puppy Love was taking out the trash and he called me to the back of the bakery and gave me another damn hug. I only half hugged him (breaking away slowly) and I took the opportunity to tell him that I was leaving as soon as the bakery lady got back. Hoping that it would get me out of hugs. Bakery lady came back and I clocked out and went to the front to tell my manager that I was leaving and to talk to my friend real quickly. So my manager asked me to stick around for a couple of minutes because her daughter was coming in with her grandchildren and she wanted me to meet them. So I stayed and talked to my friend and I went to look for mints for my manger because she really wanted some. Puppy Love saw me and called me over and I told him I was busy. I just started to get attitude with him because that will probably be the only way to deal with this. All this time I thought that in the past I was being rude by treating guys who liked me that I didn’t like with an attitude and try to pick fights with them. Who knew it was the only way to get rid of them?! Then as I was leaving I stopped to talk to Puppy Love quickly, he asked me if I had made my purse…it was cool that he thought I was cool enough to do something like that, but I had to tell him it was from Old Navy. Then as I was walking out Puppy Love was coming in and I noticed my friend on register and went straight to her to tell her goodbye, I think I even gave her a hug because I was so happy that I had avoided a hug from Puppy Love that I had to somehow share that joy. Sometimes you can just get all hugged out and sometimes you just feel like one more hug will push you over the edge.

No comments: